Easy Green Pea Pasta
This an ultra simple and easy recipe for babies, kids, papa, and mama! A Green pea pasta with a tad of parmesan cheese, olive oil and pepper. Simply add some extra shaved parmesan and bacon bits for the grown-ups.
This recipe idea comes from my Austrian friend, Nadine, who is married to an Italian guy. When we would go out to a picnic with our babies back in the day, she always brought a thermos with this green pea pasta for her little one. I remember thinking that it was such an easy and yummy idea! She would make it with this fun star-shaped pasta for babies; it was perfect. Once a toddler, you can switch to fusilli, farfalle, penne or else. I’ve turned the recipe into a grown-up dish to make it easy for the house’s cook to create a single meal for the whole family! This way, everyone is happy!
*Special thanks to Nadine for sharing her recipe with me!
Balancing Sweet Peas
Babies love these sweet peas, plus they are super healthy. Although a mouth full of green peas for a grown-up can be excessively sweet, the bacon bits and shaved parmesan will help balance this whole dish. You could also replace it with lightly cooked cured ham. As for the parmesan, it will serve as the salt for the baby dish; no need to add any. Plus, parmesan always brings in this natural umami taste we all dig, baby included!
Usually, when babies are under one year old, better not to give them lactose because it could be hard to digest. Well, good news! Parmesan is lactose-free! Well, almost! It got such a minuscule amount of lactose that it doesn’t affect digestion. Because of the aging process, mature cheeses’ lactose turns into lactic acid, which makes it suitable for babies in small quantities.
Other Kid-Friendly Pasta Recipes
- Quick Pork Bolognese
- Spooky Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
- Easy Chili Mac without Beans
- CHICKEN, FETA & BROCCOLI PASTA SALAD (The FoodOlic recipes)
- 160 g green peas frozen
- 125 ml water
- 3 tbsp parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- black pepper
- 3 tbsp dry star shaped pasta for 1 baby
- 125 g pasta of your choice for 2 adults
- 50 g bacon cut into small bits
- parmesan to taste
- Start by cooking the two different pasta following the instructions on each box.
- Cook the bacon bits in a small pan at medium-high heat until crisp. Reserve.
- Add the frozen pea to the pan and cook until bright green, about 2 minutes.
- Once cooked through, stop the cooking process by rinsing them under cold water. (to keep the vivid colour)
- Blend the green peas, parmesan, black pepper, olive oil and water with an immersion blender.
- Mix with both pasta types.
- Add the toppings for the grown-ups.