Crispy Ham with Melon Appetizers
Crispy Ham with Melon Appetizers is a classic. This mini version has a slightly cooked cured ham in a bowl shape and a star-shaped cantaloup piece to make it the perfect holiday bite! The fun texture of the ham perfectly complements the sweet and juicy melon.
We all know the Italian classic appetizer of melon or cantaloup enveloped in a Prosciutto ham. Still, this Ham with Melon version has the same taste but with an extra fun, crunchy texture and smaller size. The ham is rapidly cooked for 5 minutes in the oven to release some water and make it in the desired form, giving it this fun twist. This version is more of a finger food or hors d’oeuvre style, making it a delightful bite for New Year parties next to a bubbly drink.
Type of Cured Ham
Most people know the famous Prosciutto di Parma ham from Italy, but there are a zillion types of cured hams! For example, Spain has three main types: Serrano (white pork), Iberic (black pig), and the famous Iberic de Bellota (black pork that eats acorns, which has a nuttier taste. In France, they have the ‘Jambon de Bayonne,’ or the Schwarzwälder Schinken in Germany, although this one is slightly smoked.
All this to say, so many variations exist today; some surprisingly lovely product from a local producer would always be my first bet! For this particular recipe, I’ve already used a simple Serrano type, cut into squares, which was perfect for making the bowls. If you have the usual long slices, cut them in half.
To make it a festive finger bite, I’ve used a star shape cookie cutter to make lovely cantaloup pieces; add a little green crunch in the center, which could be any microgreens or sprouts and juicy pomegranate arils. The appetizers are held up with a fun decorative wooden stick.
Cantaloup is the usual melon used for this Ham with Melon bite, but any melon would do; honeydew or Canary would also be lovely. The microgreens used could be any preferred, or sprouts would also work. If you wish to grow your own, check out all its health benefits and how to grow them at home here. As for a special touch, a little balsamic glaze or a drop inside the bowls would be a fun addition.
Other Fun Bites
- Simple Whipped Feta Spread
- Air Fryer Chicken Meatballs (Provencal Style)
- Simple Avocado Rolls with Sriracha Mayo
- star-shaped cookie cutter
- mini muffin tray or cups
- 100 g cured ham Cut in squares (prosciutto, serrano, etc.)
- 2 slices cantaloup 2 cm thick (1 inch)
- 1 handful microgreen or sprout
- 30 arils pomegranate
- Add each of the cured ham slices into a small muffin tray or cups and cook at 180°C (350F°) for 5 minutes.
- Slice the cantaloup into 2cm (1 inch) thick pieces and cut stars into it with the cookie cutter.
- Once the ham bowls are cool, add the microgreen, the star-shaped cantaloup, and some pomegranate arils and finish with a decorative wooden stick.