Christmas Tree Appetizers
Christmas Tree Appetizers is a simple tower of star-shaped puff pastry, egg, ham and cheese layers. A great way to include a kid’s bite at the festive table!
Christmas Tree Appetizers are so simple and easy to modify to your needs. Initially, it was meant to be a Christmas morning breakfast, although it works wonders as an appetizer if you do a buffet or you know the kids will have a hard time with another meal. These Tree appetizers will surely make their eyes sparkle! You can make smaller versions for toddlers because not all trees are the same height either. The kids will love biting through the different layers; the puff pastry brings the festive crunch, the beloved ham and cheese and another layer of smooth omelette, all of which are popular with kids.
This appetizer is so easy, although here are a few tricks to make sure you get the best result possible:
- Poke holes in your puff pastry before cooking; it will puff and deform less the stars.
- The puff pastry shrinks inside the oven, so ensure the bottom layer is larger than the rest.
- Try to make the egg as flat as possible to cut a good-looking shape; if you are not used to making omelettes, check the Art of Making French Omelette!
- When you cook the smaller stars, they take way less time, so make them apart. Add some cheese on top of some for decoration on the sides.
I haven’t added any mayonnaise between the layers because the puff pastry is filled with butter, but you could if you prefer. You could modify it by adding bologna or taking out the eggs. You are the chef here! Even cut some stars in iceberg lettuce to give it an extra crunch and colour! The idea is to cut star shapes into puff pastry and make it a tree so you can choose your favourite layers. I choose these knowing they are a big favourite of kids, but if your kid likes veggies more, cut through a lovely pepper, cucumber, etc.
Other Christmas Recipes
- Christmas Tradition: Rolled Egg Salad Appetizers
- Christmas Empanadas (Air Fryer + Oven)
- Christmas Twisted Pizza
- 230 g pre-made puff pastry dough
- 4 slices ham
- 4 slices cheese or your choice
- 4 eggs
- 5 cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp milk or water
- salt and pepper
- Make multiple star sizes cut through the puff pastry.
- Cook the larger stars together, brush an egg wash and make holes in them with a fork to prevent deformation, cook at 180°C (350F°) for 8-10 minutes or until golden.
- Do the same with the small puff stars; add cheese on top of some and cook for only 4-5 minutes.
- Crack the eggs in a bowl, mix with the milk, salt and pepper and cook in a non-stick pan until smooth.
- Make stars of all sizes with eggs, ham and cheese.
- Assemble by layering all the ingredients into a small Christmas tree, and make smaller ones too.
- Finish with a half cherry tomato and a wooden stick to hold it in place.